7.22.2009

true love

This chair was sitting on the curb, patiently waiting for the garbage man to pick it up...but guess who found it first?
That's right.
My husband.

It stunk & I hated it & did not want it in my house.
He washed it up & fixed a board on it. We really needed a chair in our living room, so I let it stay for a little while. For a while I covered it with a blanket, but even that couldn't hide its ugliness.
(It makes the picture look better when the house is a disaster, doesn't it! haha)

Then the hubs got the idea that I should "recover it." Pshhhhh! Yeah right, I got my sewing machine a month after we got the chair & never sewed a thing in my entire life.

But then I went to JoAnn's & found some adorable fabric...& finally decided I would take on the challenge.
I must say, I am VERY pleased with the finished product.
I never knew I could love something I hated so much!
And this is true love.
I did piping on it & don't be afraid, it is actually quite easy. I even put two zippers on both cushions, piece-a-cake. Once I finally decided what I color I should paint it & finally got around to it, I just did one light coat of black. If you look closely you can see the wood through.
I love how it turned out.

This weekend I am painting our also *free* TV stand.

Lesson learned:
Free things aren't so bad, you just have to look for the beauty in the item.
And now I am always looking for free (or cheap) furniture to refurbish.
Scrapblog,Scrapbook,Ethereality

16 comments:

  1. Mary, this looks fantastic! I think you are just great and am amazed at all this stuff your pulling out! You and Matt will have a lot of fun memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. This chair turned out just beautiful! I love it now, you did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I can't believe you hadn't ever sewn anything. You are naturally talented! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary- you have the best ideas I love looking at your blog, you are so cute and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary! That is a remarkable transformation! Props to you, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, LOVE it Mary!!! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I am amazed! I was skeptical, but this turned out awesome! How did you cover the cushion? I don't think I would ever be able to do that without some sort of pattern. Did you use a spray paint or a brush?
    Shan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for all the nice comments!
    I used normal paint & actually used some polyurethane over it, just because I used some cheap paint. And no I didn't use a pattern, I've never used one & am not sure how it would work out if I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am so impressed, you covered those cushions perfectly! And the paint just give it wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, great job!!! I am soooo driving my neighborhood for some trashed furniture to fix up... lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job on this project. Love trash to treasures! I see you like to craft, come check out my Witches Hat Transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is quite a transformation! I LOVE the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Guess your husband has a good eye or just got lucky!! That chair turned out really nice!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your chair turned out fabulous. You would never have expected that result driving by the original chair on the street. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I would not have guessed that beautiful chair was hiding underneath all of that ugliness! So cute, and I'm impressed with your re-covering skills, amazing!!

    ReplyDelete